IBM is commited to Linux ( for hardware and software support ).

Fathi Ben Nasr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 01/17/2000 12:54:37 PM

Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc:
Subject:  which server for Linux

Hello,

    I have to set up an information system, which will be built from
nearly nothing. We are now using sendmail (e-mails) as a communication
vector (other departements still use papers and conventionnal methods
for communicating informtions).
I have chosen PostgreSQL, Apache and Php on a Linux platform for the
software side.
I also decided to use a PII/III 500/550 Mhz ( with the possibility to
upgrade to 4 processors) with 512Mb of RAM 3x9.1Gb SCSI drives
configured in RAID5 as the starting platform.
Now, I have received some configurations from local ressellers of HP,
IBM and Compaq.
They all correspond to my needs but are all different.
Can someone help me choose between this servers, which is, especially
from the hardware point of view, the one that is technicaly superior to
all the others ?
These servers are:
HP Netserver LH4
IBM Netfinity 5500 M20
Compaq Proliant 5500 1P/4P
Compaq Proliant 5500 2P/4P

Thanks in advance.
Fathi Ben Nasr.
A Mechanical Engineer and a Linux Lover.