I've been recently frustrated by a network problem that I can seem to get
my arms around. I have a 3 node network, a work machine running NT4.0, a
family machine running Win98, and my old family machine running RedHat 6.1.
I am in the process of implementing the Linux box (Cyrix 6x86 P120+) into a
firewall/proxy/print/file server, hoping it will be my single connection to
the outside world once DSL makes it to my area.

Now on to the problem. Both Win boxes have LinkSys Fast Ethernet (10/100mB)
cards in them and are connected to a 100Mb LinkSys hub. These two have been
playing together happily for some time now. I put a LinkSys card in the
Linux box, booted it up and it happily reported that it recognized the
ethernet card and that I should be in business. I proceeded to connect it
to the hub and unfortunatly it only partially works. When pinging the win
boxes from the Linux box, it reports a 15-20% packet loss. When pinging
Linux from either win box, I get the same reports. Both Sides (Linux and
Win) appear to be sending packets out when they say they are, but every now
and then a packet seem to slip through the "Ether".

Any suggestions from the masses?

I have tried swapping hub ports, cables, I even removed the LinkSys card
and put in a Netgear FA310TX 10/100 card and am using Netgear's modified
tulip driver. So far nothing I have tried has worked. I was leaning toward
a setup problem, but according to all the HOWTO's, I have everything set up
correctly.

More info available at any time!!!

Rod Flancher
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"The more I see, the more I see there is to see"  - John Sebastion