At 02:35 PM 1/24/00 -0400, Chris Watt wrote:
>Short question:
>       How do I make xntpd continue to report itself to clients as a usable
>stratum 3 server even when it has lost sync with its stratum 2 references?

If you include the following lines in /etc/ntp.conf
        server  127.127.1.0     # local clock
        fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 10
then xntpd will treat the system clock as a stratum 10 server.
That will keep it far enough above 16 for the other systems to
continue to trust it and sync to it.

You do not want to make the fudge stratum too low, because xntpd
might decide to ignore real servers in favor of its internal clock,
so I would not recommend setting the fudge stratum to 3.  Fudge 10
works well and seems to be a "standard" choice.

------
David Lupo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>