Hello:

I'm trying to get Apache-SSL set up from RPM, and working with PHP and
MySQL.  I've having a bit of difficulty doing so, so first I'd like to
walk through how I installed everything, and then discuss the problems I'm
having.

First, I did an 'rpm -e apache apache-devel' to get rid of the regular
Apache installation (I am under the impression that Apache-SSL will also
handle regular port 80 HTTP traffic, is this correct?)

Next, I downloaded and installed the following files from ftp.zedz.net:

openssl-0.9.4-3.i386.rpm
openssl-devel-0.9.4-3.i386.rpm
apache-ssl-1.3.9_1.37-2.i386.rpm

I then ran /usr/sbin/gendummycerts and created a test certificate with
appropriate values.  I then edited the httpsd.conf file in the
/etc/httpsd/conf directory and edited ``SSLCertificateFile'' as well as
``SSLCertificateKeyFile'' to point to my test certificate (it originally
was pointing to a sample dummy certificate).

Now, I should be able to start up Apache-SSL for testing, correct?  I did
an /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpsd start.  Funny thing is, I get an "OK" and a
message in my logs that httpsd started succeeded.  *HOWEVER* trying to do
an https://10.0.0.1 didn't work.  I stopped it, and started it, still
nothing.  Tried it a 3rd time.  This time it worked.  (HUH?)  It seems
'/home/httpsd/sbin/gcache' is run upon startup, and this doesn't seem to
allow SSL connections every time.  Also it doesn't seem to terminate when
you do an httpsd stop.

Anyways, it kinda worked, so I tried to get PHP working.  I went into my
/usr/local/src/php-3.0.12 directory, and did a 'make clean' and 'rm
config.cache' file, then did a:

./configure  --with-apxs=/home/httpsd/sbin/apxs --with-mysql
             --with-apache=/usr/include

I saw an error about a missing httpsd file in my /home/httpsd/sbin
directory, so I made a symlink from /usr/sbin/httpsd to
/home/httpsd/sbin/httpsd and ran ./configure again.  This time, the
configuration process completed.

I then did a 'make'.  I received a myriad of missing header files, so I
then did installed apache-devel from the Red Hat 6.1 distribution CD.  I
did another ``make clean ; rm config.cache ; ./configure --{etc...} and
then make'.

The build process worked.  I then did a ``make install''.  The
installation process worked too, and the appropriate entries were made in
my /etc/httpsd/conf/httpsd.conf file.

I then tried an /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpsd start (several times, as per my
previous attempts), but although I see that httpsd starts successfully (as
per my system logs), I am not able to get an SSL (or even a regular
HTTP) connection.

I'm at a loss here, and would appreciate any assistance.  Isn't there an
easy way of doing this via RPM?  Or do I need to do everything with Apache
from now on via source tarballs (grrr...)?

Thanks...

- --------------< LINUX: The choice of a GNU generation. >--------------
Steve Frampton    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    Japan Communications, Inc.
Software Developer/Systems Administrator    http://www.j-com.co.jp/
GNU Privacy Guard ID: D055EBC5  (see http://www.gnupg.org for details)
GNU-PG Fingerprint: EEFB F03D 29B6 07E8 AF73  EF6A 9A72 F1F5 D055 EBC5