On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 05:08:10PM +0100, Roberta Nicolis wrote:
> Hello,
> I installed the red-hat linux version 5.1. I looked at the passwd file
> and I've seen that the root password(encrypted) is written there; how
> can enable an advance security system on Linux so that I can't see the
> password in /etc/passwd? Something like a C2 security system?

        1) RedHat 5.1 is bad news on the security front.  If you need to
stay on 5.x for some reason, upgrade to 5.2 will all of the security patches.
5.1 OOB (Out Of the Box) had some serious remote root hacks!

        2) Changed to md5 hashes and the shadow password file.

        man pwconv

> bye and thanks
> Roberta

        Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 331-2437   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/