Try mkbootdisk ( from a newbie)

-----Original Message-----
From: Hugo Bouckaert [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2000 9:34 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED];
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: boot and root floppies

Hi All

I have a few problems using yard to make boot and root floppy disks
(with a redHat 6.1 kernel). When I try to put a computer's RedHat 6.1
kernel on one, then the necessary utilities on the other floppy, the
total always ends up being too large, as I suspect many of the modules
are not built into the kernel and have to be included. Even if I try to
trim out many of the utilities, I never even get close to something that
fits on two floppies.

The reason I want to build my own boot and root floppies (rather than
using
the netboot image from the RedHat 6.1 CD) is that I would like to
include, on the root floppy, some scripts of my own which automate an
installation from an image.

So what I am after is:

1. A boot disk with a RedHat 6.1 kernel.
2. A root disk with standard utilities, plus some space to put two
scripts on.

Alternatively, if there is a way to use the netboot image from the
Redhat 6.1 CD for booting, which somehow can be linked up with a second
ramdisk on which I can put my own utilities and scripts, that would work
also.

Any help or information will be most appreciated.

Thanks

Hugo
--
Dr Hugo Bouckaert - Systems Administrator, Computer Science UWA
Tel: +(61 8) 9380 2878 / Fax: +(61 8) 9380 1089