two things:

1.  I always seam to have trouble piping mkisofs into cdrecord.   In the
past: try, fail, break it into two steps, works fine, don't worry about it,
repeat next week.  I have decided to try and figure out what is going on.

Today I did this:

# mkisofs -J -V DataJunc ./ | cdrecord -v dev=0,4,0 speed=6 -
(burns ok)
# mount /mnt/cdroms/cdrom0 /dev/scd0
(mounts ok)
# diff djwin32.650/setup.exe /mnt/cdroms/cdrom0/djwin32.650/setup.exe
Binary files djwin32.650/setup.exe and
/mnt/cdroms/cdrom0/djwin32.650/setup.exe
differ

So that didn't work.

Here is what did work:

# mkisofs -J -V DataJunc -o dj.iso ./
# losetup /dev/loop0 dj.iso
 # mount /dev/loop0 /mnt/cdimg
# diff -v djwin32.650/setup.exe /mnt/cdimg/djwin32.650/setup.exe
(diff dosn't report a diff)

At this point, I could write the image out to the cd, and I am sure it would
work.    it has in the past.  I am trying to figure out what I am doing
wrong.

thing #2: so that I don't make as many coasters, how can I do multi session
cds? how do I mount them?  Right now I am only burning about 100 meg, so I
should be able to take 6 shots at it on one disk, right?  I realize that may
make things even more complicated, but I may as well use this as a way to
learn about multi sessions cd's anyway.

TIA
Carl