To continue this, in a different vein.....

If I understand correctly, the 1024 cylinder limitation arises because LILO
uses the BIOS to perform certain functions.  I've read in the Red Hat 6.1
reference guide that, "...most BIOSes can't access ....data stored beyond
cylinder 1023.... Note that some recent BIOSes do not have these
limitations....."

I'd infer from this that with a BIOS that does not have this limitation,
one could locate the boot files anywhere on either drive without regard to
the 1024 limitation.  So, question is, is this correct?

Second, how does one find out how many cylinders one's BIOS can access?  My
conversations with Dell and perusings in Phoenix's web site leave me empty
handed on this.  Anyone know how to find out directly?  (My BIOS is Phoenix
version A02, dated 11/20/99, running a Dell Precision 220 workstation.)

Thanks.

John