I you can run it when its booted, that means the drivers are in place.
The problem looks identical to the scsi pb : in order to load your module
you need to have access to your disk ... which needs the module ... which needs the
disk ...

What is suspicious if the fact that it works with the floppy.
What is on your floppy ? do you have a different kernel on it ? or do you have the
modules on the floppy as well ? Or, more likely, do you have a initrd.img on your
floppy that you don't have in your lilo.conf and /boot directory ?

The point is : if you have an initrd on your floppy you might want to make sure you
also have it on your /boot directory and that lilo knows about it :

image=mylinux
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img

Normaly, if there is one on your floppy, it should include the driver to run RAID
right.

Otherwise : recompile your kernel with the RAID suport compiled in (means (y)es
instead of (m)odule in the kernel make (x)config )

Hope this helps. I don't use raid but I have had the same pb with scsi

By the way I also have a Compaq Laptop running Linux ...

Philippe