Gustav:

The answer is that nothing comes back when I do this under DOS, just the
prompt.  A buddy of mine who was very good with serial ports under DOS and
Windows said that this is exactly the state I'm looking for.  He said that
if it reports anything, it's usually a misconfiguration.  The first time
through configuring the two COM ports, I was getting error messages back.
Now, when I echo AT to COM 1, I do hear the internal click.  I don't have
any other machines or OSes to be able to try the modem on, but it was
working before when I had Windows installed, with no problems.  I loved
the performance.

I looked at the APC UPS, it's one of the Smart UPS, but I didn't see any
dip switches.  Maybe I need to look elsewhere on the unit, or there is
something internal that needs to be set.  I'm sure I can hunt around for
the manuals, or go to their web site to start, but I wanted to work from
the machine back to test everything on the machine first before talking to
APC, if they will offer any help to me at all.

BTW, I did swap the cable that comes with the unit, as I had another lying
around.

I have minicom on my machine now.  How would I test to make sure that the
modem is working properly?  I should be able to start up minicom with the
-s option, and then configure it, correct?  I should then be able to type
AT commands in the window and get a response back from the modem, right?

- Mike