I read some discussion about this on the openswf.org site a while back.
If I remember correctly I think the short answer is not yet.

BTW I am looking for a way to play flash 4 movies without Netscape (from
a Java app) but so far only falsh 2 is supported.  Any Ideas anyone?

Bret

Daniel Goldin wrote:

> Has anybody ported the equivalent of director to Linux? Is it possible
> to do flash animation on a Linux system?
>
> I'm interested in making flash animations, but I can't afford the 899
> dollar price-tag for director in Windows. If anyone on this list has
> any ideas, I'd be very grateful. Thanks.
>
> --
> as the Subject.
begin:vcard
n:Hughes;Bret
tel;fax:918.587.0131
tel;work:918.587.0131
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.elevating.com
org:Elevating Communications Inc
adr:;;PO Box 1323;Tulsa;OK;74101-1323;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Chief Solutionist/President
x-mozilla-cpt:;19888