Why in the world did they use 2.1.3 since it is not installed (AFAIK) on any
distributed
system ?

This race for the latest glibc is puzzling me. Since glibc is at the base of
everything,
binary distribs should use the most commonly used so people could use them !

For the adventurous ones (on the bleeding glibc edge) , as said below, there should not
be any trouble using the source.

I don't mind compiling. Just getting fed up setting up the xc source tree each time.

I am worried about this new glibc.
When you are distributing your own software to other people with "old" (means 3 month
old !)
distrib and you cannot compile for their system because their glibc is too old (or
yours too new ???),
things tends to get quite complicated !

Now I have to use vmware for running  linux in a linux box : redhat 4.2 for libc5,
redhat 5.2 for 2.0,
redhat 6.1 for 2.1 !!!

Ok I could setup a cross-compiling environnement. I don't find this THAT simple. What
about redhat doing
it for us if they are to change glibc so often ?

Philippe