I tend to leave my server's monitor on all the time in character mode. On
my old machine (MDA adaptor and monochrome monitor), the screen would go
blank and stay that way.  I'm used to the monitor going blank,
screen-saver-style, and waking up with you press a key, but after a few
days (or weeks?) it would just stay blank no matter what.  Rebooting would
fix it, but I couldn't find anything else that would wake it up.

Since I never used the monitor much anyhow, I didn't think much of it...
Then I upgraded to new hardware and RH 5 and the problem went away.  I
assumed it was fixed.  Then I moved to a new machine and RH6 and the
problem is back.

I've tried killing and restarting mingettys to no effect.  Even tried
SvgaTextMode but no luck there either.  I hate the idea that I might have
to reboot to see my screen again.  That just sounds so Gatesian.  Anyone
have a better idea?