On Tue, Feb 08, 2000 at 08:52:38PM -0500, Paul Crossman wrote:
> I've been getting some strange disk/filesystem errors on one of my
> systems today that just do no make any sense to me.
>
> The system is running RH 6.0, and here's a few lines of the syslog.
>
> Feb  8 20:28:21 barney kernel: EXT2-fs warning (device sd(8,53)):
> ext2_free_blocks: bit already cleared for block 36519
> <snip>
> First of all, what does this mean???  Second, what is "sd(8,53)?

Dunno exactly what it means, but it seems to mean the filesystem
code found some status bit on the disk not set the way it thought
it should be. Certainly raises concerns, eh?

Secondly, sd(8,53) refers to the special file /dev/sdd5. On my box
doing "ls -l /dev/sdd5" results in:

brw-rw----   1 root     disk       8,  53 May  5  1998 /dev/sdd5

and you'll notice it's major and minor device numbers (the "8,  53"
part) match those in the error message, and that the "sd" part of
the error message matches the first two letters of the special file
sdxx. Since it's "sd'd'", I'm left to guess you've got four SCSI
devices (at least) and that this is the fourth one, and it has
at least 5 partitions on it.

I'd unmount that partition and run a full fsck on it. If it recurs
it would indicate some problem worth investigating, possibly hardware,
possibly a kernel issue. Beyond that I'm getting in way over my head.

Fred

--
---- Fred Smith -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] ----------------------------
  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He