[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> I'm on this assignment to do a baseline JPEG encoder/decoder..would
> like to  try it in Perl first. Any1 knows a clue to what modules/
> widgets to use to display graphics in  Perl? Tck/Tk was one of the
> tools I think (I only did CGI/shellscript under  Pel before) Platform
> is not a problem since we are allowed to choose any language we want.
> And nope, we are not allowed to execute other commands (xv or watever
> there  is out there) Any useful mailing lists/URLs any1 can recommend?
> Thanks!!!

Couple of suggestions:

1.  Perl/Tk: works well, with limitations.  Simple to work with.  Two of
    the O'Reilly books have useful discussions about working effectively
    with Perl/Tk: "Advanced Perl Programming" by Sriram Srinivasan, and
    "Learning Perl/Tk" by Nancy Walsh.  See <http://www.ora.com/> for
    more information.

2.  There is a Perl/Gtk system around; see the Gtk pages at
    <http://www.gtk.org/>  The advantage here is that you can work with
    glade, the easily available gui design tool, and then patch your
perl
    code into place.

best
    rickf
--
Rick Forrister                 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"To get something done a committee should consist of no more than
 three people, two of whom are absent."  Robert Copeland