It's also better to have a single large swap partition than several
small ones.  Depending on what kind of processor you have, you might
want to consider getting more ram.  I have a p166mmx running Red Hat 6.1
with kde.  I use it mostly for StarOffice and Netscape.  When I had only
32 mb ram, the machine was quite sluggish.  Like when I would switch
between in the four desktops in kde, the new desktop would get slowly
painted down the screen.  xosview showed a lot of swap being used.
After upgrading to 64 mb ram, the machine is much faster.  It hardly
uses any swap, and switching between desktops shows the new desktop
instantly.  Good luck,

Hidong