> From: Robert Canary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Hi,
>
> Is there away to stick a value into memory somewhere that another
> process can access at any given time?
> (after the process that created the value has exited)

Most Unices (including Linux) support a method for creating "shared
memory" (same memory location can be used by various processes) - I
believe this is part of the POSIX standard.  Try "man shmget" for some
information.  You'll want to pick up a book on Unix interprocess
communication (the exact title escapes me, but there is a "bible"
called something like "Advanced Unix Programming" that I'm certain has
this info.

Having said all that, it sounds like what you really want it to use a
file to share the information.  Shared memory would make more sense if
the processes were running at the same time.

HTH,
Dave