> Requirement:   I need to install laser printers in several student
> labs. The Dept. has decided that students must pay for this service.
> So I'm looking for software that runs on Linux and will allow
> printing from both Linux and NT machines (dual boot).  It must allow
> us to charge the students beforehand, in some manner, for usage
> rather than try to charge them later. Any suggestions either Open
> Source or commercial appreciated.
> Tony

If you are going to charge by the page, you have to charge after printing,
because you cannot tell ahead of time how many pages will be printed.

What you really need is a cash advance system, i.e., the student puts money
into an account.  After the job is printed, you charge the account.  If
the account goes over, you just have to collect more.

I'm sure there are other ways to collect, but collecting before printing is
impossible.

MB