"Cynthia P . Pearce" wrote:

> I'm not quite sure what you mean but I am new at this. All I can say is
> GNOME freezes regularly on me if I run it as root. If I run it as a
> user, it seems to do just fine. I have switched to KDE for my root
> account so I can get things done and I use GNOME for my regular user
> account.  I like KDE better but I want to learn as much as possible so
> running both seems like a good idea to me. Question: should I get the
> updated packages for GNOME?

Yes, absolutely.  In fact, I make it a point to keep all the packages I have
installed up to date with the redhat update/errata pages and have little
trouble.  I usually try the maillist archives at www.moongroup.com/redhat.phtml
to find previous posts about a topic but right now the searches don't seem to be
working :(  It is a good resource though.

I have no idea what might cause gnome to crash as root.  What version of RedHat
are you running BTW?

Bret