On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 10:35:15AM +0100, Gustav Schaffter wrote:

> Still, you're most likely violating the agreement with your local telco.

This is *very* likely true in Germany, as the Deutsche Telekom is rather
strict - in theory, all modems have to have a suitable certification.
Among other things, modems are not allowed to re-dial continuously when
the line is busy - the modem has to force a break of 30s between each
try *or* stop dialling for 2h, if you've tried 12 times (don't look at
me - wasn't my idea...).
However, I have yet to see someone getting "hunted down" for that reason.

Also, you'll probably have to get/make an adapter for the plugs. But
that shouldn't be too difficult.

Other than that, I myself am using German modems in Ireland, which works
fine (just to give another data point...).

Cheerio,

Thomas
--
             "Look, Ma, no obsolete quotes and plain text only!"

     Thomas Ribbrock | http://www.bigfoot.com/~kaytan | ICQ#: 15839919