First, I am rebuilding my linux box right now but here is an extremely odd
problem I hit tonight.  I am trying to use my external, parallel port
Syquest sparq drive.

A) All the drivers loaded fine. paraide.o ---> epat.o --> pd.o  and looking
in dmesg it reported the drive as being recognized and the little light
flashed.

B) Now mounting the drive....

   ]# mount -t vfat /dev/pda1/ /mnt/sy/

   and

   ]# mount -t vfat /dev/pda1 /mnt/sy

   This command would report an error that the mount point /mnt/sy/ was not
a directory, when infact it IS.  So, I unmounted a windows drive, since this
is a dual boot system and tried to remount it to the same dirrectory using
the appropriate command simmilar to the one above, IT DID NOT WORK !!

 C) So next I tried to get back the windows drive by doing...

 ]# mount /mnt/WinD

  and it worked perfectly becuase this was declated in my /etc/fstab

 so I made this entry to my /etc/fstab file...

 /dev/pda1   /mnt/sy     vfat    noauto,rw,user 0 0

 and then did

 ]# mount /mnt/sy and there the drive was......

So why did B not work?  This is my preferred method for mounting the drive
as it moves around a lot....