Out of curiosity, have you tried using hdparms?

-JMS
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2000 4:27 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: UDMA33 on ASUS P5A motherboard

Hello

  I have an ASUS P5A motherboard and a Quantum Fireball EX6.4A
hard disk.  According to their specifications, both are UDMA33
capable.  Still, I'm unable to make them work together in UDMA33
mode, under RedHat 6.1.

  At the beginning of the boot process, BIOS reports, that the
disk is set in UDMA mode.  Later, when linux boots, it reports
that UDMA is disabled by BIOS (it is not, at least as I set it
in the BIOS setup).  When the boot process ends, hdparm also
refuses switching to UDMA mode.

  Does anyone have success using UDMA with this motherboard and
hard disk combination?

  Thanks, if you could help:

                                        Tamas