>I need to be able to backup my Linux box via Dantz Retrospect, running on
>a Mac
>and backing up onto 8Gb Travan tapes (the Retrospect does a good job of
>backing
>up and restoring files).
>
>At the moment I can backup up user account partitions because they can be
>mounted onto the Mac desktop with netatalk, in order for Retrospect to back
>up the user accounts' home directory I need to initially mount it onto the
>desktop (after this Retrospect then simply requests a password to access that
>partition).  So I need a way in which I can mount either all the
>partitions or
>the whole box in one lump. Anyone got any clues about how I can manage this?

Alan,

For mounting all the user shares on the Linux server run an AppleScript
to mount them.

-- Start Code --

-- define variables to use
set LinuxServer to "my.server.com"
set passwd to "butthead"
set username to "bobuser"

-- Mount the volumes from Linux Server
mount volume "Home" on server LiteratiInternalServer as user name
username with
 -> password passwd

mount volume "Literati Stuff" on server LiteratiInternalServer as user
name
 -> username with password passwd

mount volume "Literati WWW" on server LiteratiInternalServer as user name
 -> username with password passwd

-- play a sound
say "Linux Volumes Mounted"

-- End Code --

The lines with a "->" are continued from the previous line, and the "->"
is not AppleScript code, so you'll want to delete it. I can't remember
where I got the syntax for this code, in one of the Applescript
dictionaries I think.

Of course this code uses the same username and password but you can just
put them in the code instead of using variables if you want. Also, I
don't do any error chekcing here, things like checking if AppleTalk is
set to ethernet may be good.

>Or do I need to create a backup file that can be further backed up onto
>the Mac
>-- that would be a drag.

You could run a cron job everynight that tars everything else you want
backed up into one or more tar/gzip archives. And have that file put into
one of the user directories you have access too.

Or you could make a Netatalk resource that is the mount point on the
Linux box, but
I'd imagine you'd have to be root or have a user that can read all the
files to get them all.

One my system I use the file "/etc/atalk/AppleVolumes.default"

/ "Whole Darn Thing" options=noadouble

>Retrospect can access drives on machines like WinNT via TCP/IP, but it needs
>client software installed on the client box, which Dantz do not provide for
>Linux :(

How about you email Dantz and suggest a Linux client for Retrospect and
I'll do the same. Maybe we'll see something someday. I'd really like to
backup my Internal Office Linux box using Retrospect but don't because of
some fo the issues you pointed out and not being able to read all the
files (if I log in as just a user and not Root). Also I don't think
Retrospect will get the file permissions (correct me if I'm wrong). So
you may want to create a file that have the permission listed in them. A
simple command: "ls -aFlRB / > allfiles"

Hope that helps.

-Bob Burton
IT Consultant
Literati Information Technology, LLC