I seemed to have a similar problem with my DSL connection. My ISP would
not admit that they were trying to turn off inactive users so I setup a
cron job that sends out a ping every minute. No problems since... I send
out 1 ping every 1 minute in my cron job. And if I have any problems, I
can always look at my ping log and verify. If this is indeed the porblem,
this should fix it. If you need a graphical tool go to www.linuxberg.com
and try out one of the TCL base cron configurators...

Best Regards,
                Rahim.