Robert Glover wrote:
> Some wretched soul might send a non-SYN packet at one your open TCP ports as
> part of some kind of port scan.  The response from that port would tell them
> that something is there.  If those ports were blocked by the stateful
> inspection firewall, then there would be no response.

I see.  I don't have a lot of experience writing custom IP packets, so
what kind of response would a Linux kernel send to a packet without a
SYN flag that wasn't part of an established stream?

I really don't want to sound argumentative... just trying to learn more
about TCP.  From what you've described, I can see the value of stateful
firewalls.  Sounds like something that would be very useful to all of us
broadband users...

Thanks
MSG