On Wed, Feb 23, 2000 at 11:17:20AM -0500, Michael D Green wrote:
| On Tue, 22 Feb 2000 , Adam Sleight wrote:
| > this stuff is easy....just not the first time you do it...then you'll
| > get the
| > big picture..
| > are you using NAT? I don't quite follow.
| What is NAT?

Network Address Translation, also known as IP Masquerade in the Linux
arena.  Causes your internal machines' connections to the outside world
to be silently translated as they traverse your dialup box, so as you
appear to come from the dialup box (because only it has a public
address - 192.168.x.x is "private" and must not appear in the outer
world). Return traffic is translated by the dialup box as well, and
passed to ythe corerect internal machine, which is none the wiser.

| > 192.168.1.0/24 network???
| What does the /24 mean?

It's a netmask. It says that the first 24 bits of the address
(192.168.1) are the network number and thus that the last 8 bits (1 or
2 or 3 in your case) are the node number. Routing in IP is based on
this division - packets aimed at the same network as the source machine
are generally dropped onto the wire for the target to pick up, and
other packets are sent to a gateway machine which should know where to
sent them (out your modem normally). Your can do more complex things
but that's the common case.

| I've assigned my Linux machine the IP address
| 192.168.1.1, the Windows 98 one 192.168.1.2, and the Windows 95 one 192.168.1.3.

Fine.

| > on Windows98 do START / RUN / WINIPCFG to check your DNS/IP settings.
| > If you
| > are dialing-up with your Win98 machine independent of your Linux machine
| > then
| > only set your ISP DNS servers, etc in MY COMPUTER / DIAL UP Networking
| Thanks!  I Knew there was some utility like winipcfg in Windows, but didn't know
| what it was.  (By the way, the Win98 machine works fine.  It is the Win95 one
| where I have the problem.)

BTW, under NT this utility is called "ipconfig". Just one of those
charmless differences...

| Okay, what I see from using winipcfg on both the Win98 machine and the Win95
| machine is that when I log on to the ISP the IP address and subnet blocks in
| winipcfg get set by the ISP for the Win98 machine, but they remain all zero for
| the Win95 machine.  And I strongly suspect that that points to the source of
| my problem.  But I can't find a way to change that behavior.  I've checked and
| double-checked the settings on both machines to ensure they are identical.
| But something obviously isn't.  However, I can't figure out what that is...

Now I can't help you - hopefully the above gives you a little more info.
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

Peeve:  Waking up the morning after a fun evening with friends, to find
        that ants had taken an interest in the lasagna components, in a
        big way.  Ants suck.
Peeve:  You can't hear ants scream as they die.
                - Don Baldwin, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>