Did you edit the access.conf file and include "AllowOverride AuthConfig"?
Also, there is one thing that bit me recently.  In access.conf, does the
path you specify for the directory contain any symbolic links?  My
experience is that it won't follow symbolic links.  Good luck.

Ryan Ware
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
http://www.RyanAndAmy.net