On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 09:46:03PM -0600, Vidiot wrote:
> By using yourself to do the lookups, you don't rely on any other nameserver
> to be operational, just yourself :-)  And no, you don't have to name serve
> anything in order to use named/bind to look up host information.  The
> name server for my domain is halfway across the country, but I still use
> my named/bind for host lookup.
>
> After running some nslookup tests, report back with your findings.
>
> MB
> --

First of all thanks for all the time you sent on this!
I think I have the problem solved, it involved changes to the sendmail.mc

My topology:  I am a dial-up PPP home user, one computer.  My ISP is
caribsurf.com,  email should be addressed to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
The nsloopup/MX as you said for caribsurf gives two servers, neither
of which is the outgoing SMTP server.

I use sendmail for outgoing mail, and fetchmail to get incoming mail
from the ISP POP servers (i.e. the machine identified by the MX records.)

Here is my current working sendmail.mc:
divert(-1)
include(`/usr/lib/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4')
define(`confDEF_USER_ID',``8:12'')
dnl define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp.caribsurf.com')
OSTYPE(`linux')
undefine(`UUCP_RELAY')
undefine(`BITNET_RELAY')
FEATURE(`redirect')dnl
FEATURE(`always_add_domain')dnl
FEATURE(`use_cw_file')dnl
FEATURE(`local_procmail')dnl
FEATURE(`nouucp')dnl
FEATURE(`access_db')dnl
MAILER(procmail)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl
MASQUERADE_AS(`caribsurf.com')dnl
FEATURE(`allmasquerade')dnl
FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')dnl

Here is what I removed that came with the redhat default file:
define(`confAUTO_REBUILD')
define(`confTO_CONNECT', `1m')
define(`confTRY_NULL_MX_LIST',true)
define(`confDONT_PROBE_INTERFACES',true)
FEATURE(mailertable)
FEATURE(`virtusertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable')
FEATURE(`blacklist_recipients')
FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')
dnl FEATURE(`relay_based_on_MX')

I suspect one of the MX related entries was causing sendmail to
try to get an MX record for the smart-host (smtp.caribsurf.com).

I can't tell you why it quit working after the end of february. And
I cant tell you why it works now!

Once again, thanks to all those who mailed me with tips.

--
alistair

Satellite Safety Tip #14:
        If you see a bright streak in the sky coming at you, duck.