On Thu, Mar 02, 2000 at 12:19:02PM -0500, skybell wrote:
> Newbie question.  Have not been able to get online.   Running RH 6.1.   Have
> a static IP on a cable modem.  RH recognizes my ethernet card.  I put
> everything where it belongs.  Gateway, IP, DNS.  Cannot get online though.
> I can ping my IP address and my Loop.  But not the gateway.  I have read all
> the help I can find.  What am I doing wrong.  confused on the localhost and
> host meaning.   Under Win my host name is skybell and my domain
> ipschannel.com..     Any ideas where am I going wrong.
>

> --
> as the Subject.

The following showed up in my /var/log/messages when I received your message:

Mar  2 12:59:52 klee named[17225]: Lame server on 'ispchannel.com' (in 'COM'?):
[192.203.230.10].53 'E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET'

I don't think it is the problem you are trying to solve here but I
would let your ISP know.

What are the outputs from ifconfig and route?

--
Ron Golan