> Subject: Promise UltraDMA/66, cannot enable Busmaster DMA
> Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 00:51:34 +0800
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Red Hat Partisan)
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Hello, I have another (probably stupid) problem.  A server is running
> a Micronics M6Me mainboard with integrated SCSI.  I want to add extra
> drive(s) into a RAID0 of aging Seagate Elite 9GB `bricks', and thought
> that I might make do with a 7200rpm Fujitsu MPE (13GB UDMA-66) as the
> third drive in the RAID, perhaps in a RAID-4.  It is only after being
> all done with the backing-up, re-set-up, and so on that I realised the
> unfortunate fact that the M6Me, like earlier server boards such as the
> SuperMicro P6DOF, has its IDE drives connected to the ISA bus -- good
> for maybe 1.5 MB/s in PIO mode, no DMA.  No problem, said I, I have a
> Promise PCI UDMA66 controller lying around.  In it went and I was able
> to find and set up with my Fujitsu as /dev/hde on the ide2 interface.
> But OUCH!! when I try to do enable DMA, I get this:

You'll need Hedrick's unified ide patches for your kernel.  The Promise
controller works great with 7200rpm drives (I'm getting near SCSI
performance from our boxes, at much lower prices...just eats a little
extra CPU over what SCSI does).

Go here to get them:

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick/

Pick the latest ide patches for your kernel.  You may have to go to the
old subdir to find one for your kernel if you use a stock RH kernel.
Promise has been well supported for about 6 months now, I think...so
even older patches should be OK (though if it were me, I'd go ahead and
get the latest 2.2.15pre14 kernel, since you're going to be recompiling
anyway...).

I've got quite a bit of experience with this controller, so if you have
any problems feel free to mail me.
--
Joe Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.swelltech.com