Wade Hampton wrote:

> Java is supposed to be safe, running in a sandbox.

The sandbox applets run in is for security purposes, not
stability.  The stability problems are caused by an old/poorly
implemented JVM in Netscape.

> It is supposed to NOT take your application, display manager,
> X server, etc., down with it :(

No (useful) program is _supposed_ to do this.  I've managed
to do it with several, though.

> As it now stands, bad Java is a VERY GOOD DOS TOOL
> THAT CAN BE USED AGAINST LINUX USERS!

Bad code is bad code.  And the bad code you're seeing
is C.  If you're worried about this then turn Java off.
Personally I've seen much more malicious Javascript than
Java (remember Javascript != Java). And this is really a
poor DOS attack, as you have a simple and immediate rememdy.
It is a nasty little gotcha, though.

                                        Cheers,
                                                ~Rob

--