On Fri, Mar 10, 2000 at 11:50:52AM +1100, Dan Horth wrote:
> Hiya - still have not got a reliable 56K modem connection. I have
> tried all sorts of init strings - forcing connections at lower
> speeds, etc.
>
> A few pertinent points relating to our situation:
>
> 1. a ping I have going to the modem we're dialled in to goes from
> around 125-250ms during normal operation to 7000ms, 15000ms, 25000ms
> and beyond just before the modem chokes and dies. this usually
> happens when I try do download some stuff... and we end up getting
> useless transfer rates (sub 1k / sec at the moment)

These are all internal modems? If so, are they all using a "standard"
serial IRQ, i.e., 3 or 4? If NOT IRQ 3 or 4, you may need to look up, get
and try using "irqtune". I've had a problem in the past with using a
modem on IRQ5, the problem being  because the ISA hardware assigns a
low priority to IRQ5, so that almost everything else in the machine
gets a higher priority for interupt service than my modem resulting in
lots of missed bytes and the resulting PPP retransmissions and therefore
low throughput. This showed up in ifconfig as lots of errors.

Irqtune should be available at:
           http://www.best.com/~cae/irqtune/irqtune.tgz
           ftp://shell5.ba.best.com/pub/cae/irqtune.tgz

Fred

--
---- Fred Smith -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] ----------------------------
                         While we were still sinners,