Edward Schernau wrote:

> The kernel will not use APM on an SMP system; I tried
> and it gave me a message like:
>
> APM not SMP-safe, disabling...
> --
> Edward Schernau                 http://www.schernau.com
> Network Architect               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Rational Computing              Providence, RI, USA

        Right, APMD doesn't get along with SMP. Why would you need power
management unless you were using a laptop or a machine where power was
an issue? Usually one of the things I do when setting up a new server is
to uninstall APMD. From a security standpoint, I think it's better to
have fewer things running. You never know who might find a security
exploit in something.