I posted this a while ago, and I haven't solved the problem yet,
so I will repeat my question.

I am using autofs to automount an NFS volume.  I would like to mount
server:/var/remotedir on /net/server/var/remotedir.

I have set up the following:

    auto.master contains

        /net    /etc/auto.net   --timeout 60

    auto.net contains

        server/var/remotedir -rw,hard,intr server:/var/remotedir

But nothing is mounted when I change to /net/server/var/remotedir.

I tried an entry in auto.net for

        remotedir        -rw,hard,intr server:/var/remotedir

Now, *that* succeeds in automounting server:/var/remotedir on
/net/remotedir.  So what do I need to do to mount the same directory
on /net/server/var/remotedir?  Is this a bug in autofs?

I need to have it in the right place because it contains a license
file that knows where it should be mounted and won't run if it's not
mounted in the right place.

Also, what are the merits and demerits of mounting an NFS volume
as "soft" versus "hard,intr".

(Thanks to Ward William E PHDN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> for his
reply to my earlier request, but it hasn't resolved the questions.)

Thanks again in advance.

                Matthew Saltzman
                Clemson University Math Sciences
                [EMAIL PROTECTED]