Configuring SSH is not difficult.  The configuration need only be
done on the server to determine the authentication method(s) of choice
and a few other parameters.  The clients will negotiate with the server
to determine what is allowed.  I would forgo the RSA key authentication
and just use simple password authentication with SSH in your situation
as the users would already understand that concept.

Second, to keep things simple, I would urge you to consider the "MindTerm"
Java based SSH client for the users.  You can install either the "official"
ssh V1 or the openssh on the server.  The MindTerm applet exists in a web
page on the server.  They just browse the page, get the applet, and in the
Java parameters of the page you can even automate the forewarding of the
ftp chanels for the users.  The MindTerm thing gives them a color vt100
terminal right there on the page or as a separate browser window, and they
can use their normal ftp client, pointed at the localhost and forewarding
port, much like a simple proxy configuration.

This may work for you.  To obtain MindTerm, go to www.freshmeat.net and
search for either MindTerm or MindBrite.  One is the company name, the other
is the product I think.  This appears to be an open source licensce arrangement
from what I can tell.

They have a couple demo web pages as well so you can see how to enocde the
html for it.  I've used this successfully to provide myself "anywhere" access
back into my network as I then only require internet access and a java enabled
browser, which pretty much means most computers in the US will do!

--
J. Scott Kasten

jsk AT tetracon-eng DOT net

"That wasn't an attack.  It was preemptive retaliation!"