A while ago, I complained to this list that I was unable to upgrade
one of my machines from 6.0 to 6.1 because I'd get the "no partitions"
message immediately after I selected the "upgrade" option.  I got this
complaint even though I had no problem booting the existing 6.0
installation.

I queried this list for a solution but didn't receive any answers.

However, through fortuitous luck I stumbled upon the answer.  The
machine I was upgrading started as a Win95-only machine (I inherited
it).  I used PartitionMagic to shrink the Win95 partition and created
a new extended partition for the Linux logical drives, then installed
Linux normally.

Here's the gotcha, and it was easy to fix: somehow, the extended
partition was created as type 0x0f instead of type 5, i.e., "Win95
Extended" vs. "Extended".  Apparently this difference did not confuse
the boot loader, but caused the upgrade process to not see the Linux
logical partitions.

The fix is easy: fdisk the target drive and use the "t" command to set
the type of the extended partition to 5.

Everything proceeded normally after that.

I send this message in the hopes that it will help the tiny fraction
of people who may see this same problem.

Jim