Gordon Messmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>> I was at least hoping to use strace/ltrace to find out what IO call is
>> causing the freeze.  Then I can at least talk to somebody about it.  I
>> filed a bug report with the Gnome group, but no response yet.  I
>> talked to Ricoh, but they "don't support Linux".
>
>I don't know how successful you'll be.  It sounds like the kernel (or
>system_ is locking up on you, and if it does that, then you aren't going
>to get any output.

We'll see if the call is logged before the freeze or not.  One can but
hope... (Actually, if I can get close, I can always try to read the
source.  Isn't that supposed to be the wonderful thing about free
software?  Now, I don't know anything about drivers, but why should I
let a little thing like that stop me?)

>Is there any other SCSI hardware on your system?  Or is it just the
>CD-RW and adaptor?  Do you have any other scsi equipment around?  Any
>friends with SCSI equipment?  The first thing I'd try is replacing
>either the CD-R or BT-950, and see if there's still a problem.  Or, try
>that card and CD-R on a different computer, running a different
>operating system.  You could also try running the kernel that came with
>your Linux distribution.

The system is all SCSI, with two hard drives and a Syquest Jet drive
(stop snickering...).

The other system in the house has my old SCSI card (a BT-958) and my
old CD-ROM (a Teac).  I will get around to trying them at some point,
but it requires more time and patience than I have this week.

>I used a BT-950 for some time and was very happy with it, but my CD-RW
>was Yamaha.

I like the Mylex cards pretty well (although the 958 needed a
firmware/BIOS upgrade to work properly with the Jet drive).

I'll let you know if I make any progress.  Thanks again.

                Matthew Saltzman
                Clemson University Math Sciences
                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs