Vidiot wrote:
> If you don't use ntp to keep your clock aligned with the National
> Bureau of Standards clock, you should.  It is a simple program that
> runs as a daemon.  But, it does require a 24x7 net connection.
>
> The latest source is from www.ntp.org.  Just fetch it and install it.
> Grab the latest list of timeservers and pick three servers near you that
> provide pubic access.  Use level 2 servers, do not use level 1.  After
> you put that info in the /etc/ntp.conf file, you can start the daemon.

One question, as I'm a timid user of other folks' resources.  It mentions
in the NTP FAQ that one should notify the timeserver owners that you're
planning on using them as an ntp user.

How much traffic does ntp generate?  If I ran a network, I'd feel OK
hooking up this way, but as just some schmo with (effectively) a singles
system, I don't want to waste their resources.

-W-