Juha Saarinen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Trying to figure out why Web browsing was slower going through Squid rather
>than directly to the 'Net, I looked in cache.log and found lots of these
>messages:
>
>2000/03/21 22:54:48| comm_udp_sendto: FD 1, 255.255.255.255, port 53: (13)
>Permission denied
>2000/03/21 22:54:48| idnsSendQuery: FD 1: sendto: (13) Permission denied

I've never seen it before but it looks like maybe squid is trying to send a
dns query to a broadcast address.  Doesn't make any sense to me either.  Do
you have ipfwadm/ipchains rules on the same server or a different one that
would be denying what squid is trying to do?  How about DNS, is it working
properly?  You might check the DNS portion of squid's config file too -
normally squid will default to whatever's in /etc/resolv.conf, but there's
an override option "dns_nameservers" that will let you specify different ones.

I know this probably isn't much help, but it's all I can think of off the
top of my head.

-Eric

Eric Sisler
Library Computer Technician