on 21/3/2000 7:34 PM, Bill Ries-Knight shot down the bitstream:

> Edward,
> Thanks for the help.  the resend was because the box clock was off by a
> month and thus had a wrong time stamp. My mail server filters out the
> old stuff by date and files it special.
>
> I left the identification a bit cryptic on purpose because the units are
> a bit unique in compaq computing.  I thought (WRONG apparently) that
> someone would recognize the name quickly and have a snappy response.

Is it top secret?  Let us know what is is, and we can better help you.  Is
it a Proliant Desktop 533?

> The box in question is a Compaq all-in-one unit with a single hard
> drive, a floppy and a built-in nic.  The information from the compaq
> website is a bit ambiguous, and tech says it is a combined
> ethernet/token ring network interface.  The box was designed to be a low
> powered workstation or high-powered smart terminal.  It was originally
> released in 1993 or 1994 with a 486/33 and limited to a 500mb/hd and
> 20mb PROPRIETARY ram.  As there is no place for another hd or CDrom, I
> have thoughts it would serve nicely with a bit of tweaking as a firewall
> box.
>
> Anyone that has any insight, Thanks in advance.

Someone (sorry, don't have the name) in a separate Compaq related thread
said:

"Check out Compaq's drivers ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/drivers/linux.
>From www.compaq.com/linux you can find several interesting documents."

So give it a shot
--
Ed Marczak