On Fri, Mar 24, 2000 at 03:50:27PM -0500, Ray Parish wrote:
> I have bellsouth adsl connected to my linux box. I have
> ip_forwarding set to true and have the masquerade ipchains script
> working.  Behind the firewall on my second interface (eth1) I have
> connected several winblowze machines. the windows machines can
> telnet, ftp, mail, and so on except surfing.
> I called bellsouth.net and asked if they are filtering by MAC
> address and they told me yes.?

Watch their tech support. Sometimes you get clueless trainees. The MAC
address is used only to authenticate your one dynamic IP. I have BS
ADSL, and with Linux box on internal network, and no problems of any
kind surfing, etc (and the MAC addresses are different). I don't know
windows enough to say why they might be different. Also, BS uses cache
servers for all http traffic. Maybe this is a factor (I doubt it).

Maybe I am wrong here, but when the internal network requests go out
thru the Linux masquerader, they are showing its IP and MAC. The
problem is elsewhere.

> Is there a way to spoof the MAC address when having the Linux box
> doing NAT/ and FW?

I believe this is already the case. Check it with 'tcpdump -e' on
eht0.

--
Hal B