-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2000 4:35 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: setting up IP printer

I am unable to find any documentation to show me how to set-up a
printer which is connected via ethernet and has its own IP address.
 The printer in question is an HP with an jetdirect card in the
printer.  If someone could point me in the direction for setting this
up I would appreciate the help

--

This is almost trivial.

Either add your printer to your DNS if you are running one, or edit
/etc/hosts and add your printer's name and IP.

Once done make sure you can PING it by name...

I.E. "ping hplaser4", etc...

Fire up printtool.

Remove your old entries. (DO THIS as you probably have it wrong...)

"Add" a new printer and select "Remote unix, LPD Queue".

In the NAMES box enter the printer name, by which it will be known to Linux
separate aliases by vertical bars... "|" (don't type in the quotes unless
instructed.)

I.E. "lp0|hp4|hplaser4"

Accept the default for the spool directory.

In "Remote Host" use the name you gave it in your DNS or in /etc/hosts.

In "Remote Queue" use the name "RAW".

In the "Input Filter" box, click select, and choose the most appropriate
driver/filter in the dialog box.

Turn ON "fix stair stepping" and optionally "send EOJ" though the latter
might produce page feeds.

Accept the changes.

Restart the LPD and print something to the printer

"lpr -Phplaser4 filetoprint.doc"

If nothing comes out, reboot your system and try again.

Have fun.

-JMS