From: Ali <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Saturday, April 01, 2000 9:01 AM
Subject: Rogers @home

>Hello every one,
>
>Next week, I will get my Rogers @home account.
>Is there any website that shows me how to connect my Linux
>box to the net? Step by step please.
>
>Any help is welcome
>
>Regards
>
>Ali from Canada
>

>--
>as the Subject.

Title: PPP Setup Tips: Using the Red Hat Network Configuration tool (netcfg)
Next Previous Contents

6. Using the Red Hat Network Configuration tool (netcfg)

Red Hat Linux includes two tools to help youi to setup a PPP connection, console based (linuxconf) and X-Windows based (linuxconf and netcfg). If you do not have X running on your Red Hat Linux system yet, or you prefer, you can skip down to the linuxconf section.

6.1 Starting the netcfg tool

You must start the netcfg tool from within X-Windows as root. Either start X-Windows having logged in to the console as root, or start X-Windows, start an xterm/rxvt, and then issue the following commands

        netcfg &

(Note: I recommend that you actually login as root rather than su to root.)

If you su to root then you will need to use the following steps:

        xhost +
        su root (and provide the root password when prompted)
        export DISPLAY=<your machine name>:0
        netcfg &

in an xterm window to start the Network Configurator.

The netcfg window will open up with the Names button highlighted.

6.2 Adding the PPP interface

Click on the Interfaces button - the window changes to show the configured network interfaces. You now need to ADD an interface, so click on the Add button.

A new subwindow opens (Choose Interface Type), showing you a choice of the interfaces that can be configured using the tool. If it is not already checked, click on PPP to select that type of interface and then click on the OK button.

6.3 Providing the basic ISP information

The subwindow is replaced by a "Create PPP Interface" subwindow. In this, fill in the requested details.

The phone number should be the full phone number you dial to access your ISP's PPP server. Do not forget to add any outside line or long distance access codes that are necessary. You can include any modem dialing commands (such as a "comma - ," to pause for one second to allow a PBX to grant you an outside dialtone).

When you have completed this, click on the Customize button and the Edit PPP Interface subwindow opens.

6.4 Setting the interface hardware options

In the Edit PPP Interface (hardware) window, make sure that Use hardware flow control and modem lines is checked, as is the Abort connection on well-known errors.

Also check that the line speed is set to the maximum serial interface speed supported by your modem and computer serial port. For modern modems and serial ports this should probably be 115200 (baud).

Leave the Escape control characters box unchecked.

You need to enter the serial port to which your modem is connected. This should probably be /dev/modem provided you have used the modem tool in control-panel to link the serial port to /dev/modem.

If you have not done this, start the modemtool by typing

        modemtool &

in the root xterm sesion that is running or by clicking on the modemtool icon in the "control-panel" main window.

Now simply select the correct serial port and click on OK - the modemtool window will close and you can return to the Edit PPP Interface Window. Make sure you have the correct modem port selected in this window and now click on Communication.

Note:You can create this link by hand if you know the port number the modem is on, a small table is provided at the end of this document to help you. To create the link yourself you need to figure out the port and type:

For a 2.0.X kernel use:

        ln -s /dev/cuaX /dev/modem

For a 2.2.X kernel use:

        ln -s /dev/ttySX /dev/modem

The Author suggests looking at the Serial Port Reference for more information concerning the layout of the serial ports on you Red Hat Linux system.

6.5 Scripting the log in process

In the Edit PPP Interface (Communication) window you will now enter the information that will allow the chat program to automatically log you into your ISP's PPP server.

The window will now show the 'expect/send' pairs used to log you into your ISP's PPP server and start PPP. At first, there will be two sets of 'expect/send' pairs...

        Expect          Send