From: Adam Sleight [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, April 01, 2000 10:31 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Help with modprobe, please

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000 23:38:31 +0100
 "BG" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
# I am trying to set up IP Masquerading on RH6.2.  I have had it running
since
# RH5.2, but my hard disk died, so I have to learn it over again, I guess.
# think the problem lies with the statements I put in rc.local, but I'm not
# sure.  Here are the modprobe statements:

I use the linksys router though now..cuz it's cheap and it works great only
$169
from http://outpost.com  Been using it for 2 weeks now.
http://timhiggins.com/reviews/linksys_router.asp
now it includes PPPoE support....NAT, port-forwarding, DMZ, 4 port
switch..it's
great if you have DSL or a cable modem.

Hope this helps for Redhat 6.2 ip-chains.

Add this to /etc/rc.d/rc.local

ipchains -P forward DENY
ipchains -A forward -s 10.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 -j MASQ

/sbin/depmod -a
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_ftp
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_irc
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_quake
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_cuseeme
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_portfw
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_user
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_autofw
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_vdolive
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_mfw
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_raudio

10.0.0.0        -   10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0      -   172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0     -   192.168.255.255

netmask         | x  | Subnet
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
255.0.0.0       | 8  | Class A
255.255.0.0     | 16 | Class B
255.255.255.0   | 24 | Class C
255.255.255.255 | 32 | Point-to-point

You may also use the format yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, where
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx specfies your subnet mask such as 255.255.255.0

For example, if I'm on a class C subnet, I would have entered:

     ipchains -P forward DENY
     ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.1.0/24 -j MASQ

     or

     ipchains -P forward DENY
     ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 -j MASQ

You can also do it on a per machine basis. For example, if I want
192.168.1.2
and 192.168.1.8 to have access to the Internet, but not the other machines,
would have entered:

     ipchains -P forward DENY
     ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.1.2/32 -j MASQ
     ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.1.8/32 -j MASQ

# Each of these returns "modprobe can't locate ipip.o, ip_masq_ftp.o", etc.
# did locate these files in /lib/modules/2.2.15-2.5.0/ipv4/, so I tried the
# above with the full path.  Modprobe still can't find them.
#
# Any help is greatly appreciated,
# Bill