Just some minor notes to report on this upgrade.

First, most important:  It went just fine!  Virtually uneventful.  One
thing I do not understand is given this was an upgrade, why was I
asked where I wanted LILO?

My 6.1 install was a custom/select all packages, the upgrade from the
iso image from University of Wisconsin.  I selected upgrade, taking
all packages.

Three VERY minor items, fwiw:

kuzdu was switched back on;  I'd turned it off.  kudzu also reported
my nic card as new...which it was not.  I said, "Ignore", it ignored.
All went fine.

httpd was also turned back on, now turned off.

The kernel was properly upgraded.  However, as with the 6.1 install, I
was given two kernels, one for an smp configuration, which was made
the default.  Problem is this is a single processor machine.  I do
believe (I'll check to be sure) that there is a slot for a second
processor (Dell P-III 733 Workstation 220).  Most likely, the
installer detects slots, not processors? Both kernels boot, the
non-smp being the better one.

So, minor points, noted fwiw.

John