Hi,

I have found what I believe is a serious bug in the upgrade to RH6.2
(zoot).

In RH6.0 and RH6.1 there was no /etc/ppp/ip-up.local provided. In the
/etc/ppp/ip-up script, there is a test to see if the file
/etc/ppp/ip-up.local exists and if it's executable. If so the file is
executed.

In the ip-up file there is a comment stating (and I quote):
"This file should not be modified -- make local changes to
/etc/ppp/ip-up.local instead"

Great idea. That way I can make sure my local additions will not be
overwritten by a new release from RedHat.

Boy, did I get surpriced today.

The upgrade from RH6.1 to RH6.2 overwrote my ip-up.local with a script
file containing code to save resolv.conf if the interface is ippp
(ISDN?).

By chance, I had a backup of my ip-up.local (10KB+ of bash script)
laying around. The backup was *almost* up to date.

So, this is a *warning* to anyone doing the update: If you have your
local stuff in the ip-up.local (as indicated in ip-up) then make sure
that your backup is fresh. (BTW, it took me a good while before I
understood why nothing worked when I connected to the 'net.)

This is also a reminder to RedHat that there is a quite clear indication
that the contents in ip-up.local is *mine* and no one elses. I can only
interpret that as RedHat promising *not* to touch ip-up.local. This
promise (if existing) was broken in the latest upgrade.

Maybe something that lbero may bring to the RedHat team?

Best regards
Gustav

--
pgp = Pretty Good Privacy.

To get my public pgp key, send an e-mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Visit my web site at http://www.schaffter.com