At 06:14 PM 4/2/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Yep, it sure did :))  It opened it with my current login.  How do I
>open a new instance of X and log in as another user/root?
>
>Thanks, Mikkel!
>
>John

It will run the X secession as what ever user runs the startx command.
This does not need to be the same user as started the first X secession.
You could also do something like:

su -c "startx -- :1" <user>

to start as a different user without logging in as that user.

Now if what you are after is more then one graphical login screen, you
have to do things a little different.  If you are running xdm to mannage
the logins, you can edit the /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers file.  Find the line:

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X

Copy it, changing the :0 to :1 for a second login, :2 for a third, ect.
This should produce a login screen for each line.  If you start in run
level 5, or run xdm as root, it should work.  I have not tried it, so
I may have the syntax a little off, but it should work.

If you use another display manager, there should stillbe the Xservers
file.  Look in /etc/X11/kdm for K display manager.  Let me know how it
works out if you try it.

Mikkel