Mathco Tech. Dep wrote:

>I'm building a new Linux system with a
>asus k7m and a A-Open FM56 ITU/2 ISA Modem,
>my problem is that it it finds the modem
>as a com-port during start-up but refuses
>to let me use the com-port afterwards,
>it does the same in the *OTHER* operating system
>also. I have tried many of the same Modems.
>If anyone has used these components please
>let me know if there is a solution for it.

You must ensure that the jumpers on the modem are set to use a free com
port, and to use a free interrupt. Then, you must ensure that the system's
corresponding com port is disabled via the bios (or jumpers on the i/o
card).

One way of avoiding messing with the existing com ports is to set the modem
to use com3 and interrupt 5, assuming, of course, that no other device is
using interrupt 5.

Here are the "standard MS-DOS" port associations:
/dev/ttys0 (COM1), port 0x3f8, irq 4
/dev/ttys1 (COM2), port 0x2f8, irq 3
/dev/ttys2 (COM3), port 0x3e8, irq 4
/dev/ttys3 (COM4), port 0x2e8, irq 3

These are the 'standard' interrupts:
              IRQ  0      Timer channel 0
              IRQ  1      Keyboard
              IRQ  2      Cascade for controller 2
              IRQ  3      Serial port 2
              IRQ  4      Serial port 1
              IRQ  5      Parallel port 2 (Reserved in PS/2)
              IRQ  6      Floppy diskette
              IRQ  7      Parallel port 1
              IRQ  8      Real-time clock
              IRQ  9      Redirected to IRQ2
              IRQ 10      Reserved
              IRQ 11      Reserved
              IRQ 12      Reserved (Auxiliary device in PS/2)
              IRQ 13      Math coprocessor
              IRQ 14      Hard disk controller #1
              IRQ 15      Hard disk controller #2

Janyce