> Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 14:48:56 -0400
> From: David Yates <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> hello all,
> 2 questions:
>
> 1. I have succesfully set up ipmasq and ipchains on my 2 computer network. I
> have dial-up modem net access and can share the connection with both
> computers.
> As I have it setup, my main computer (the one with the modem, and the one
> that I use exclusivly) is doing the the ipmasqing , while my wifes is the
> one without the modem, and has the ipchains rules applied.
> Is it possible to have both machines firewalled?
>
> I got a funny feeling that I did t=not communicate that question well.

I've got the exact same setup.  On the main computer, I have the
ipchains rules that disalllow any incoming connection attempts.  The
"preferred" way is to add a third computer (just the firewall which
masquerades for the other two computers).  Can anyone comment on the
security difference between having the firewall also be a machine for
general use vs. adding the third computer?

> 2. In a state of distro envy, i went out and bought a copy on mandrake 7.0
> today. I ordered my cheapbytes cdr of 6.2 yesterday.
> I am running 6.1 currently, and am very very happy with the way I have it
> running right now (custom kernel, stability, speed, network, quake3 unreal
> tournament, tv card, tape drive,etc. etc)
> Can anybody tell me a good reason (other than the fact that I have already
> spent money on the mandrake copy)  to change to mandrake, or for that matter
> to upgrade to 6.2?

mental exercise :-).  Seriously, if you're happy with everything,
there's no need to upgrade (except keep up to date with security
patches).  If you started needing lots of updated packages because
you're doing development work, then it would be worth it.

> one more:
>

> 3. I have been using redhat sine 4.0, and with each new version, I have
> always choosen to do a freash install. Are there any drawbacks to the
> upgrade option?

I've did an upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2 but did fresh installs for 5.2 and
6.1.  I prefer fresh installs, especially for major version changes,
because so many things have been changed, you don't know what config
files need to be changed and end up looking through your system for
the rpmsave files.  With a fresh install, you know you no longer have
an old stuff cluttering (and possibly interfering with your system).
The drawback is, of course, the fresh install takes longer and you
spend a few hours getting everything back configured the way you
want.  If you have /home and /usr/local on separate partitions, I
would do a fresh install, saving those partitions.  This is just my
opinion and I'm certain there are differing opinions.

Dave