Gustav,

You've gotten a lot of replies about new hardware.  I didn't see anyone
come out and say it but I think that yes, you're going to need actual
terminals (or some nifty box that turns a monitor+kbd+mouse into
one).  Then the issue of connection to the basement depends on the
terminal.  You may also need a multi-port serial card.  I believe I've seen
technologies for having a kbd and mouse distant but I don't know any way to
deliver video except through a cable or maybe across a wireless ethernet
(but that requires a computer on both ends).

Anyway, if you get terminals, a single Linux server will do.  I imagine old
terminals are pretty much door stops these days and you can come by them
cheap or free.  The new ones that look PC-ish may be harder to come by cheaply.

I also fondly recall the good old days when I was in college in the 80's
and dumb terminals were my only access to the Internet and I favor the CLI
even today.  But I think I would feel constrained by being limited to using
terminals.  I would favor leaving a few Linux workstations around the
living quarters and string ethernet down to a hub next to a server or two
in the basement.  The workstations can be powered up and down while the
server runs 24/7.

You could also look into ways of muffling the computers or soundproofing
the bedroom.  Or you could take up snoring.

-Alan Mead